Electrical Fire in wall outlet causes damage to an office at Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau (City of Refuge) National Historical Park Monday evening (July 13th).
Published by: HIRSC - Utah (Saint George) Team
The Hawaii Fire Department (HFD) along with the Hawaii Police Department (HPD) responded to a report of an electrical fire at Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau (City of Refuge) National Historical Park in South Kona Monday evening (July 13th).
The initial call came in at 9:07 pm Monday evening and HFD crews from the Captain Cook Fire Station along with HPD officers from the Kona Patrol responded to the scene located at an office in Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park in South Kona.
Upon the arrival of emergency crews, initial reports came in from an alarm company for a report of a fire and burglary alarm activation at the Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau Park and requested for HFD and HPD response to investigate the alarm activations received.
Once emergency crews arrived at the scene, HFD crews confirmed fire alarm was activated, however, did not immediately find signs of a fire occurring on-premise and began investigating further. Upon further investigation, crews found light brown smoke coming from an administrative office and work to make into entry into the office.
Once entry was made into the administrative office, HFD crews found a small smoldering fire coming from an electrical outlet and immediately worked to extinguish the fire. The fire was declared fully extinguished at 10:11 pm Monday evening and crews immediately began mop-up and overhaul operations, shortly thereafter.
After mop-up and overhaul operations were completed by HFD crews, the scene was later turned over to Park Rangers from Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau Park, where they were conducting an assessment of the damage caused by the electrical fire. HPD officers also remained on scene to investigate, if any suspicious activity had occurred prior to the fire.
The fire did not spread further into other facilities in the building but contained to the administrative office area where the small fire was discovered. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.