Hawaii Island Police Warn Public about Law Enforcement Phone scam
Hawaii Island Police want to warn the public of a scam involving an anonymous caller soliciting funds for the Hawaii Police Department.
The most recent phone number is identified as 808-755-9285, but is a spoof number used to prevent detection.
The Hawaii Police Department does not practice solicitation of funds from the public, or solicit funds on behalf of any law enforcement agency.
The public is reminded to practice these simple rules to prevent being a victim of a telephone scam;
- Don’t give out any personal information, either by phone, text or email.
- Do online searches and search phone numbers when appropriate
- Don’t believe your caller ID, criminals can trick you to believe that it is a valid number
- Never pay anyone upfront or give out your credit card information to anyone over the phoneConsider how they are presenting the solicitation to you, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isTalk to someone before you ever give up your information or money to anyone or any business or agency
- Hang Up on “Robocalls”, never press any numbers as asked.
Call the police at 935-3311 or CrimeStoppers at 961-83000 to report suspicious calls or report criminal activity related to phone scams to your police department.