• Admin

Kahuku Information Update for July 10th, 2021

Two people drown in waters offshore of Humuhumu Point (or offshore at the end of Road to the Sea) in Kahuku (Ocean View), Ka'ū late Friday evening (July 9th).

Published by: HIRSC - Hawaii Island (Hōlualoa) and Nevada (Henderson) Teams


The Hawaii Fire Department (HFD) along with the Hawaii Police Department (HPD) and the United States Coast Guard (USCG) responded to a report of swimmers in distress offshore of Humuhumu Point (or at the end of Road to the Sea) in Kahuku (Ocean View), Ka'ū late Friday evening (July 9th).

The initial call came in at 10:58 pm and HFD Crews from the Hawaiian Ocean View Estates (HOVE) and Kailua (Rescue Company 7) Fire Stations along with Battalion 2, USCG Crews from Barber's Point, Oahu, and HPD Officers from the Ka'ū and Kona Patrol responded to the scene located at approximately 200 yards offshore of Humuhumu Point in Kahuku, Ka'ū.

Upon the arrival of emergency crews, a report came into HFD Dispatch reporting a swimmer (described as a male in his 40s) was in distress approximately 200 yards offshore of Humuhumu Point. Initially, two people parties were in the water, however, one safely had made it back to shore, other was being pushed out by the strong current and rough ocean conditions. Three other bystanders (described as all males in ages ranging from 18 to 40s) had jumped into the water and swam out to try and assist the one distressed swimmer.

However, in the course of the attempt, all parties got into distress and were unable to get back to shore due to the ocean conditions. Two of the four parties in distress were able to safely make it back to shore safely on their own. Bystanders onshore had lost visual of both parties and were reported to be heading north with the current.

Once emergency crews arrived at the scene, HFD Crews arriving at Humuhumu Point found that two (one male in his 40s and the male age of 18) of the four swimmers had made it back to shore safely. Both parties had refused further medical treatment at the scene. HFD personnel at Humuhumu Point later shifted focus in locating the two missing parties last seen approximately 200 to 300 yards offshore.

HFD Rescue Boat had deployed from Miloli'i Boat Ramp and responded to the scene of the last known location of the two male swimmers. A USCG MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter from Barber's Point Station also arrived in the area and conducted a brief search. At around 3:15 am Saturday morning (July 10th), USCG MH-65 Helicopter and HFD Rescue Crews located and recovered both male swimmers (one swimmer in his 30s and the other in his 40s) near 'Āwili Point (or Keawaiki), both of which were reported to be non-viable and HFD Rescue Crews returned to Miloli'i Boat Ramp, where an HFD Medic was standing by.

Once at Miloli'i Boat Ramp, HFD Medic conducted a medical assessment on both patients and declared both parties DOA at the scene, and the incident was turned over to HPD for further investigation.

The incident remains under investigation at this time.

2,163 views0 comments