Kailua-Kona Information Update for June 2nd, 2020

Henry Street between Queen Kaahumanu Highway to Kuakini Highway reconstruction expected to begin in Fall 2020.

Published by: HIRSC - Hawaii Island (Holualoa) Team

info@hiradioscannercommunity.com


For Kailua-Kona motorist, plan ahead as road resurfacing/reconstruction project is planned for Henry Street in the fall of 2020.


The County of Hawaii Department of Public Works (DPW) has published a request for bids for resurfacing/reconstruction work for Henry Street between Kuakini Highway to Queen Kaahumanu Highway in Kailua-Kona. The request was published on May 26th and will be closed on June 26th, with notification of the bid award being announced in July.


Should all phases go as planned without delays or bid protest, road work on Henry Street is expected to begin on November 13th, 2020, and expected to be completed in June 2021.


Road work includes asphalt concrete pavement reconstruction, traffic signal upgrades, pavement striping, adjusting manhole frame and covers, and adjusting utility valves and boxes. No additional features will be added during this project.


Plans for traffic control is to have at least one lane of traffic in both directions will open during the construction project.


The estimated cost of the project is $1.5 million with 80% coming from federal funds and the remaining 20% to be funded by the county.


We will provide an update as the bid award is finalized and the construction start date is announced.

Currently, Niumalu Marketplace is currently nearing the final phase of construction and road work for utility installation and upgrades are underway on Henry Street. That work is expected to be completed by late Summer 2020.

0 views
  • HIRSC Twitter