top of page
  • Admin

Nanue Information Update for July 10th, 2021

One person was fatally injured following a fall from a cliffside near Nanue Gulch in Nanue, North Hilo late Saturday afternoon (July 10th).

Published by: HIRSC - Hawaii Island (Hōlualoa) and Maui (Kula) Team

The Hawaii Fire Department (HFD) along with the Hawaii Police Department (HPD) responded to a report of a person who fell from a cliffside near Nanue Gulch in North Hilo late Saturday afternoon (July 10th).

The initial call came in at 4:49 pm Saturday afternoon and HFD Crews from the Laupāhoehoe, Central, and Waiākea (Rescue Company 2) Fire Stations along with Battalion 1, Chopper 1, and HPD Officers from the North Hilo Patrol responded to the scene located at Nanue Gulch (or area just north of the 18-mile marker on Highway 19 (Māmalahoa Highway)) in Nanue, North Hilo.

Upon the arrival of emergency crews, reports came in that person (described as a male approximately in his 30s) who was along the cliffside near Nanue Gulch had fallen approximately 50 feet into the water near the mouth of Nanue Stream. The patient was reported to be unconscious following the fall, however, bystanders from the top of the cliff lost visual sight of the patient shortly after and immediately called 911 and awaited the arrival of emergency crews. It was noted the patient may have suffered a head injury prior to landing in the water.

Once emergency crews arrived at the scene, HFD personnel conducted a search by land of the surrounding shoreline from the top of the cliffside while Chopper 1 later arrived in the area conducted a brief search of the surrounding shoreline by air. Chopper 1 then located the male patient near the rocky shoreline, who was reported floating face down in the water.

HFD Rescue Crews then utilize a billy pugh net lowered from Chopper 1 with a Fire-Rescue Specialist inside to reach the patient's location near the rocky shoreline of Nanue Gulch. Once the Fire-Rescue Specialist had the patient inside a billy pugh net, Chopper 1 then brought them both up to the landing zone where an awaiting HFD Medic was standing by. HFD Medic personnel immediately began life-saving measures on the male patient and then transported him to the Hilo Medical Center in extremely critical condition.

HIRSC Team has later learned and confirmed the patient in this incident had succumbed to his injuries shortly after arriving at the Hilo Medical Center.

HPD continues to investigate this incident.

This is the second fatal water rescue incident to occur on Hawaii Island in less than 24 hours.

371 views0 comments
bottom of page