• Admin

West Hawaii Scanner Feed Notice for December 24th, 2020

Used illegal firework shell damages rooftop external scanner antenna and equipment for West Hawaii Scanner Feed on Christmas Eve evening (Thursday, December 24th), leading to an outage.

HIRSC - Administration and Moderating Team


The HIRSC - Administration and Moderating Team is informing the community that on Christmas Eve evening (Thursday, December 24th), the HIRSC Team was notified at 9:55 pm by one of our moderators that the external scanner antenna and equipment was damaged by a used illegal firework shell that landed on the rooftop, of which the components sit atop, causing major damage to the equipment and wiring in following the incident.

Our HIRSC - Hawaii Island Moderator did note that numerous illegal aerials were being set off in the area, however, was not able to determine the location of which this shell had come from prior to landing on the rooftop. This is the second incident in which a used illegal firework shell had damage external equipment, however at a different location. The equipment damaged in this incident was recently purchased in August 2020 thanks to the help of our HIRSC Founder and Head Adminstrator.

Please note, the HIRSC Team does not get compensated in any way for broadcasting the scanner feed in West Hawaii and this is solely a volunteer operation/community service we provide to everyone. All equipment purchased for the feed is solely purchased out of pocket by our team members.

Due to the extent of damage and repairs needed, the West Hawaii Scanner Feed will remain offline until further notice until repairs are complete. HIRSC Team is working to rush order and ship equipment to Hawaii Island via help from our HIRSC Team in Colorado, however, due to the Christmas holiday, will be some time until the equipment can arrive and be installed.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and are asking for everyone's patience and understanding while we work to complete those repairs to all external equipment as quickly as possible.

The HIRSC Team will be reviewing alternative methods over the next few days to prevent such incidents from occurring again in the future.